Sunday, March 24, 2013

ahh! I started a blog!

Ahh! My first blog! I couldn't be more excited!

 I guess I should start by saying my name is Katie, I am 26 and live outside of Philly. My very talented photographer friend took these pics of me on a whim:

                                                  
But I usually look like this because I am a huge nerd:



I love doing crafty things, decor, party planning , antiquing and going to tea houses on lady dates! Hence why the name of my blog is 70 at heart... because as you can see, I am.I get made fun of for that often and I embrace it. I know when my friends say " that's very you..." it really means, 'I hate it but I know you love it, Grammy'. So! Now that I've told you the basics, I'll show you some of my decor! and craft projects!
I live at my boyfriend's apartment on the weekends and he is clearly okay with me decorating like I live there. This hutch is the best thing my BF's mom could have ever given me! It get's a lot of use for each holiday! Here is my easter /st.patty's day deco:


So that you can see what everything is, I'll zoom in a bit.
 I love this slate egg:
 I'm aware that some people may not know me but I like to laugh, so this rabbit riding a giant duck was right up my alley haha!
 My Lenox bunny- he has a top hat, come on now!
 I have a small obsession with lanterns... and by small I mean- HUGE! I would decorate with them everywhere if I could! and apothecary jars!!! omg don't get me started!
But look at the jester bunny! eee!
 And this is Peter Rabbit, he's a music box on the bottom. I love him too.


So I saw a pin about redoing a filing cabinet and in all honestly I realized that was exactly what John, my BF, needed for all the paperwork that he keeps insanely organized. But I hated the look of the standard ones. So I kept at eye out at sal val (Salvation Army) and picked one up that was in nice shape for $15! So here is the before, I am aware that's it's not the best pic but you get the point:

Pretty basic right?

Here is the after:
The last pic is more the true color, the flash on the camera made it look like a true red but it's more of a maroon. 



  Here is what I used-
for the stencil color:
 For the main part of the cabinet:


 These sponges for the stencil:
 and this was the stencil itself, I would highly recommend this type. I held up nicely ( I'm not the most gentle person with my crafting supplies).


My biggest tip for stenciling is to clean the stencil completely between each application. I was lazy for one of the 4 stencils that ran down the front and it made a big difference in the crispness of the image. 





No comments:

Post a Comment